Friday, May 29, 2020

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs


If I’ve ever read Tarzan, I don’t remember, so I think this is my first Edgar Rice Burroughs. But A Princess of Mars reminded me a lot of works by H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, and H.P. Lovecraft. (“Here, let me show off how imaginative I am by describing everything I’m making up in excruciating detail.”)

Imaginative and full of adventure? Yes. Character growth? Absolutely not. The most growth is shown by John Carter’s dog-like protector and his two beasts of burden on Mars.

The way John Carter gets to Mars seems hilarious to me (he goes into a mysterious cave and then he just – is on Mars), but I can’t take John Carter himself seriously. He can do no wrong, there’s never any doubt that he’ll win a battle, and he is never in any serious danger. And of course he Gets the Girl!

The worst thing about this book for me as a reader is the complete lack of humor. Still, I try to imagine myself reading this book in 1912, when no one had ever seen an adventure movie, and most people didn’t travel. Obviously it was popular since he wrote 10 sequels. I’m not moving on to book two but I’m glad to have read it.

The Galesburg Public Library's Tome Raiders book discussion group will have a virtual discussion of A Princess of Mars on 5/29 at 6:00 pm. The book is "always available" through the library’s Overdrive collection. 


No comments:

Post a Comment