Thursday, September 8, 2011

Falling Man by Don DeLillo

Falling Man is set in New York and takes place in the days, weeks, months, and years following 9/11. It is considered by many to be the best of the 9/11 novels written so far. I picked it for the library's book clubs to read as we mark the 10th anniversary of 9/11/2001.

I can't say it was a book that I enjoyed. However, I did find it helpful in reflecting on where I was and how I felt 10 years ago. The book contained passages and observations that resonated with me. For example (p. 135):

He said, "It still looks like an accident, the first one. Even from this distance, way outside the thing, how many days later, I'm standing here thinking it's an accident."
"Because it has to be."
"It has to be," he said.
"The way the camera sort of shows surprise."
"But only the first one."
"Only the first," she said.
"The second plane, by the time the second plane appears," he said, "we're all a little older and wiser."

There is not a lot of action in Falling Man. It captures the confusion and disbelief, the chaos and lack of comprehension of the events of 10 years ago. It's not profound, but it is a deeply thoughtful and reflective book about an event Americans share. If you are in the mood to think back on 9/11, I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment