Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens

The Emerald Atlas is the first book in what is presumably going to be a fantasy trilogy. It's not particularly original - three orphans who fulfill an ancient prophecy team up with a wizard, dwarves, and others to battle an evil sorceress working for an even more evil master - but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I will definitely read the next book in the series, whenever it comes out.

I listened to the audiobook read by Jim Dale, which didn't help the book when it came to me judging its originality. The book ended up reminding me quite a bit of Harry Potter since I kept thinking, as new characters spoke, "that's Hermione's voice! that's Ginny's voice! that's Peeves's voice!" The comparison would probably not have been quite as strong if I'd been reading the book instead of listening to Jim Dale read it.

However, if you like Harry Potter and other fantasy novels about children growing up while battling magical evil, I recommend The Emerald Atlas.

No comments:

Post a Comment