Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not a big fan of chick-lit. More power to the ladies (and gentlemen) out there who laughed along with Something Borrowed or shed a tear over Eat, Pray, Love. I went there, I tried it, but in the end I just couldn’t hang. I’m a chick, and I hate chick-lit. So needless to say, I was very surprised by myself when I read a review of Girls in White Dresses and wanted to read it. I attribute my motivation to pick up Girls to the fact that Close seemed to have pegged the clichéd versions of me and my two best friends: the nerdy one, the crazy one with a heart of gold, and the funny girl. I gave the book a try, and I was pleasantly surprised when I could hardly put it down. Girls in White Dresses is what I always dreamed chick-lit could be-- fluffy and trivial, while still maintaining a refreshing honesty. Chapters alternate between various female characters who are all centrally connected to the book’s three main protagonists: Mary, Lauren, and Isabelle. I would highly recommend this book to all chick-lit lovers, and maybe a few haters too.

No comments:

Post a Comment