Friday, May 3, 2013

Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Kate and her twin sister Vi were born with what they refer to as "senses," psychic abilities that allow them to foretell future events and see people's secrets. Kate, the more reserved of the twins, finds her gift problematic and tries to repress it, while Vi embraces hers and ultimately turns it into a career.  Now, as adults, Vi is working as a medium while Kate is a stay-at-home mom of 2.  Not many people in Kate's life know about her senses... that is, until Vi goes on national television and predicts that a devastating earthquake is about to destroy the city of St. Louis.

I loved this book.  The attention to detail, the complicated family dynamics, the humor, the good people making terrible decisions, all of it. I couldn't wait to pick it up every evening. Like Sittenfeld's other novels (which I also loved), Sisterland is, above all else, a character study.  My only complaint is that I wish I had been able to get to know Vi as intimately as I now feel I know Kate. But overall, I would recommend this to any readers of contemporary, relationship-driven fiction.

Sisterland will be available in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment