Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


What is there to say about The Great Gatsby that hasn’t already been said? I first read it over 30 years ago and loved it from the first reading. I’ve read it every few years ever since. If I could write like anyone, it would be F. Scott Fitzgerald.

The whole package doesn’t quite come together in Fitzgerald’s other novels, but this book is close to perfect. The language is lovely and lyrical. The ideas are thought-provoking. As I get older, each time I reread it different passages speak to me. The characters are well drawn. The narrator is authentic. This is one of the greatest American novels ever written. It tells an unavoidable melancholy truth.

This time I listened to the excellent audio version read by Frank Muller.

On a side note:  The Galesburg Public Library Movie Club will probably meet to see the new movie the evening of May 21, 2013 at the AMC Showplace, then head to Perkins Restaurant afterwards for discussion. Join us! I loved The Great Gatsby movie starring Robert Redford when it came out in 1974. It started my continuing admiration for Sam Waterston. I am reserving judgment about the new version. Whether you see the movie or not, whether you see the movie and like it or dislike it, read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment