Thursday, August 8, 2013

Zombies vs. Unicorns

I was intrigued by the concept - a series of alternating stories about zombies and unicorns, as if it's a competition - but the concept was better than the reality. Like most story anthologies, the quality varied greatly. The book includes five star stories and two star stories. I was disappointed in the story by Naomi Novik, whose Temeraire series I love. I thought the best story was Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot. Margo Lanagan's story A Thousand Flowers was pretty interesting also, and Kathleen Duey's The Third Virgin got me thinking. I guess I am in the unicorn camp, as overall I enjoyed those stories more than the zombie stories.

If you are a fan of strange story anthologies and modern fantastical tales about zombies and unicorns, this book is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment