Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

“How did I kill this Thursby? I’ve forgotten.” – Sam Spade

The Maltese Falcon is the Galesburg Public Library's 2015 Big Read title. I had never read it or seen the movie before this year. They were both much funnier than I expected, and I enjoyed them both. About all I knew about noir was from listening to Guy Noir on the Prairie Home Companion, and it has been interesting learning more about the genre.

I read a lot of mysteries and detective fiction and should have read The Maltese Falcon long ago. It’s a quick read with spare text, and I found it highly entertaining.

The library will be hosting four book discussions of The Maltese Falcon in the month of April. Come join us for one of them! 

Thursday         4/9        6:30 pm      Civic Art Center
Tuesday          4/14      1:00 pm       upstairs at the library
Wednesday     4/15     12:20 pm     Carl Sandburg College Library
Thursday         4/30     11:30 am     En Season Restaurant ($10 for lunch)

No comments:

Post a Comment