Monday, July 7, 2014

How to Fall by Jane Casey

I’m a huge fan of Jane Casey’s Maeve Kerrigan series, so I was quite interested to read How to Fall, her first young adult thriller/mystery.

I wouldn’t call How to Fall’s plot terribly original (identical cousins, anyone?), but the writing kept me thoroughly engaged. The author gets points from me for having her main character read Cold Comfort Farm. While How to Fall is not as good as her adult mysteries, it is well written. Jess, the main character, has dimension. I think young adults will tear through this book.

How to Fall might have been more suspenseful if not written in the first person, and I felt a bit let down after the climax. The ending is abrupt, but oh wait, that’s because it’s the first in a series. I did not see THAT coming. I will definitely watch for and read the second book in the series. The Jess Tennant series could develop into something really good.

I recommend How to Fall to readers who already like Jane Casey’s Maeve Kerrigan and to anyone who enjoys well written young adult thrillers with okay plots but interesting characters and settings.


I read an advance reader copy of How to Fall. It is scheduled to be published in August 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment