Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I finally got around to reading The Help, after years of people telling me I needed to. I run a library Movie Club and we went to see the movie version of The Help last night. I finished the book before the movie.

I thought The Help was slow starting - it took awhile for me to get into it. However, I liked the characters a lot, and the author's use of an easy-to-read dialect. I found the plot mostly believable. The book was both funny and moving. It made me think and reflect. I was also very pleased that all the plot points were not neatly wrapped up at the end. That's more like life than books where everything ends happily and perfectly. The Help is not the next coming of To Kill a Mockingbird, but it would make a great book club discussion book.

No comments:

Post a Comment