Saturday, August 20, 2011

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

I loved this book. Although it is labeled YA, it can certainly be enjoyed by adults (and I'm sure by tweens as well). I initially picked it up because it is marginally about the discovery of a woodpecker long thought extinct - not the real ivory-billed woodpecker but the fictional Lazarus woodpecker. I am a bird lover so the premise intrigued me.

The author's characters are dead on. The book is mostly narrated by a 17-year-old boy, and he, his best friend, his best friend's girlfriend, and his brother all seemed so real to me. Aside from the big main plot points driving the story, all the day-to-day interactions and the description of small-town life also seemed very real. There were a number of times as I was reading when I thought "that is so true!" The characters and the story really resonated with me.

I am normally reading several books at once, and I know a book is really good when I set the others aside to focus on one. That happened with Where Things Come Back. It's a quick and thoughtful read - I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment