Monday, August 29, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a fictional explanation for a set of vintage found photographs that are scattered throughout the book. I loved the idea of those photographs forming the story, and the author was quite creative in what he came up with, but I think the idea itself was better than the book that resulted.

In the book, a teenager watches his beloved grandfather die. His grandfather had always told him fanciful tales, and Jacob begins to wonder if they were just fanciful. In response to his grandfather's dying words, Jacob sets off for Wales with his father to uncover his grandfather's secrets. I did enjoy the book, but I did not find it to be a can't-put-it-down read. The teenaged narrator did not have a strong, well-formed personality, and I never like to reach the end of "a novel" only to discover that it is the first in a series. Still, it kept my attention and I do want to know what happens next, so I will read the next book when it is published.

Some libraries classify this as a young adult book, while others put it in adult fiction. It can be enjoyed by both teenagers and adults. If you like a quirky read, this is definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment